Sunday, September 20, 2009

Creating Screenscapes

The long process of prep work to paint on screens is never ending. My contractor is able to find old screens for me on his demolition and renovation jobs. The first step is to sort out which screens to clean and rescreen (with copper screening). I sometimes get screens that are crumbling away (oxidation and time have change the screen's strength). The older screens are woven tighter together and the tiny squares are closer together. Once oxidation starts on the screens they start acquiring a patina like a bronze displayed outdoors. Examples of oxidation on bronze is Rodin's 'The Thinker' and the Lion sculptures outside of The Art Institute of Chicago.
Once screens are cleaned I start painting the frames French Quarter green (a very dark green), off white, or black. I keep the backside of the screen window or transom the original color (to show original color).
Selecting what landscape is easy. Whatever, landscape and sunset inspires me I paint. I am not able to paint a sunset in fifteen minutes so, I take pictures since a sunset changes constantly within a fifteen minute period. I sometimes add native birds and maybe a flat boat. I do not like to paint people into the landscape since, some patrons ask who the person is and if the person is no one they know they tend to not want the screenscape painting.
My favorite screenscape paintings are the ones with the huge live oaks with spanish moss hanging from the braches of the trees. I sometimes see children making spanish moss wigs to where on their heads or huge spanish moss resting beds.
I sometimes get commissions to paint Jackson Square or Pirate's Alley on the screens but, landscapes seem to be my most desired images. The waters in Louisiana tend to be a dark brown or green which creates the perfect reflecting pools. Seeing a Louisiana sunset in calm waters is very relaxing and water tends to be a symbol of rebirth for me. Every sunset is different and the colors change from one season to the next. I notice in the fall the colors are more vibrant golds and pinks and peaches. I often wonder if some of the colors in old plantation homes were inspired by a Louisiana sunset.
Creating a screenscape averages about ten hours unless I get a huge window screen that becomes a panoramic landscape view. Visit: http:/www.tlbartrestoration.com/

2 comments:

  1. I love your screens and your enthusiasm.
    I love your explanations of how you approach a project...much to learn from you
    thanks to April, I found your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Suz,

    Thank you for the kind words. I used to live near Chicago and love Grant Park. I making plans to visit my sister in Chicago and hopefully paint some of the beauty in Grant Park and along Lake Michigan shoreline. Cheers, Thomas

    ReplyDelete